Common Questions Before a Home Inspection
Jason Tennant, from Outlook Home & Building Inspections, answers the most common questions he receives before a home inspection:
- What is included in a home inspection? Our focus of any inspection is on the safety of the foundation, electrical system, roofing, and plumbing of your home or business. Simply put, in each room I am inspecting floors, walls, windows, ceilings, electrical and fixtures. For bathrooms, kitchens and utility rooms I am also inspecting sinks, tubs, faucets, shut-off valves and more. I inspect all major heating and cooling systems to make sure you get them in working order. I inspect roof coverings, structure, gutters, downspouts, walkways, exterior doors, eaves, soffits, fascia, service drop, mast, meter & base, grounding, outlets and more. If the home has a crawl space, pool or spa, they will also be inspected.
- How should I prepare my home for an inspection? Access, access, access. That includes the attic, the crawlspace, the garage, the shed, and that quirky storage closet. Any part of the physical structure, make sure that I can reasonably access it without having to move heavy items or do gymnastics to get there. I will also need the remote controls for any equipment being sold with the house, such as lights, fireplaces, or ceiling fans. Clean and declutter the home.
- Please keep in mind that if you are conducting a pre-listing or home maintenance inspection, I understand that you are living there. When possible, move furniture or large items away from the walls to expose electrical outlets.
- How long will the inspection take? The short answer – it depends. It depends on the size of the home, the number of findings, does the property have a crawl space, pool or spa. On average, anticipate a minimum of 2 hours.
- Do you have sample reports? Absolutely! I have sample reports showcasing pre-listing, real estate transactions, home maintenance in a variety of property types and sizes.
- How much will it cost? Similar to timing, it depends on the size of the home and add-on services for crawl spaces, pools or spa. Reach out to us to discuss your inspection needs.